Monday, January 15, 2007

Worse than Cancer

Well the good news is, that I do not have Cancer (yet)

And so for those who say that autism is worse than cancer, I can tell you which I prefer, and for those who want to witter on about the agonies of having a live coal burning within ones bowels, well that is dramatic speech, but heck I would rather that than it turn out to be cancer. So ok there may not be rivers of diarrhoea that I have to tip out of my wellies (it is wellie weather round here) cos I can get to the toilet in time, but I tell yer now I can give you a bucketfull of crap, well don't the mercurians give us that and more :)

No the fact that I am a little longer for this world than was my estimation a week ago waiting for test results only improves my disposition so much as I am still contending with that anomaly of being an autistic in a social world where it is not recognised.

I am damned for my "black and white" thinking and my unsubtle approach to trying to get people (and if you are reading this you know who you are) to sign this petition

http://www.autism-hub.co.uk/nih-response/

Well perhaps I am the rudest autist in existence, Temple Grandin seems to think so, and that encounter is not one to be repeated

But you see I have other problems and dilemmas to deal with, because if I were not where I am and I did not have these autistic traits that seem to give me aggro, then would I truly deserve to be there cos I would not be autistic enough would I? The old catch 22.

Laurentius the polymath, the pleonastic, who would twist Derrida and Sartre in linguistic knots when it comes down to it, when he needs to, finds that speech dissolving, he struggles to communicate over a phone and certainly speaks a grammar Chomsky would appreciate as a little less than Pidgin (not that he would have them crapping on his landing as I do) phone in one hand tother left a flappering.

I might have an extension on life being as my gut problem is not terminal but I might not be so long in this world of internet discourse as I am currently in deep shit with the benefits system in the UK. My doctor without my knowing replied to a questionnaire from the "jobcentre" and though that was full enough of much else besides autism as has caused me to be a regular at the surgery or emergency room, it's still not enough for the system who still can't categorise autism aright.

Oh yeah and if you check out the link to this blog, Bert Massie is an old mucker of mine. We go back a long ways together.

6 comments:

David N. Andrews M. Ed., C. P. S. E. said...

Hmmm... an old thorny one this.....

But...

If anyone think that being autistic is worse than having cancer...

Well, my dad has cancer, and I'm autistic.

He's having a far shittier time than I am.

So you get your heads out of your bleeding arses and start thinking right. Stop catastrophising what is not a frigging catastrophe.

Sorry to use iffy lingo on your blog, Larry, but some people are so frigging anally-involved that they get right on my fucking nerves. It's not you, man. It's them!

Anonymous said...

David, If you were really autistic, you'd think it was a catastrophe too. Being a nerd is a far cry from being a "train wreck".

David N. Andrews M. Ed., C. P. S. E. said...

Phil,

"David, If you were really autistic, you'd think it was a catastrophe too. Being a nerd is a far cry from being a 'train wreck'."

I don't know who you are, and I don't really care.

I'd rather be me (yes, autistic... pepple who need to see it have seen the diagnosis) than you (can't be arsed to waste words describing you).

Go do something useful.

You sound so like that monkey in New Hampshire that likes to suck its own penis... the one on JBJr's blog.

Anonymous said...

God Larry, I'm so glad to read that you have not got cancer. It pisses me off no end to hear that 'worse than cancer' stuff. My mother died of cancer when she was 49; my husband is an oncologist. Give me autism every day, (even 'Autism Every Day' with film crews and staged tantrums) over cancer, or anything that makes people sick or in pain.

Please stick to working against the DWP until you get the benefits you're entitled to. I've just had a 7 month wait for my son's decision and I'm appealing against part of the allowance. I'm determined to educate these people about autistic needs.

David N. Andrews M. Ed., C. P. S. E. said...

Sounds like idiot-brain Phil is in a minority here.

David N. Andrews M. Ed., C. P. S. E. said...

Bethduckie: "A sibling, amongst other family members died from cancer.

Autism is nothing like this! Its ridiculous to even place them in the same category."

Sharon: "God Larry, I'm so glad to read that you have not got cancer. It pisses me off no end to hear that 'worse than cancer' stuff. My mother died of cancer when she was 49; my husband is an oncologist. Give me autism every day, (even 'Autism Every Day' with film crews and staged tantrums) over cancer, or anything that makes people sick or in pain."

As I pointed out, my dad's currently in the terminal phase of cancer. He has a pathological fracture of his shoulder and that will never heal, and it's very painful for him. The thing was detected some years ago, and a kidney was removed, along with a very huge tumour. The one evening after New Year 2006, he called all his kids (I have two sisters) to tell us that the cancer was back. His consultant oncologist gave him "weeks, maybe months at most", and he is still here, but evidently the cancer has metastatised and taken over his body: lungs, bones, various other tissues. I experience many challenges in my life, being autistic, but I don't have to wake up every day to continuous pain and a shoulder that'll never mend; I don't have to move about on a little motor-trike/scooter-type thing just to get round to the shop. I don't have to go into hospital just because I get a cold (he does, because his lymphatic system's been hit). Yes, I have challenges, like I say... but I find ways round them: it's impossible to find a way round cancer to heal a painful pathological fracture brought about entirely by the cancer.

Obviously, 'Phil' the wondrously under-intelligent cannot actually under stand this reasoning, because his brain (such as he has one) doesn't actually work... at all).

So, just for 'Phil'...

Autism... not the same as cancer; autism... not as bad for you as cancer; autism... not excruciatingly painful as cancer (except when us autistics encounter the likes of 'Phil', whose very existence puzzles us enough to give us migraines... how does his like live inside a mind so small?); autism every day versus cancer everyday... give me autism every time.

Message to Phil... get a life!